Disability Awareness Program
Northern Will County Special Recreation Association recognizes the importance of understanding and accepting people with disabilities. The Disability Awareness Program is an educational, hands-on training and interactive learning experience that promotes sensitivity, acceptance and awareness of different perspectives as these issues relate to individuals with special needs.
- Increase knowledge about disabilities
- Promote acceptance of people with disabilities in all aspects of the community
- Facilitate community partnerships
Examples of Program Activities
- For Physical Disabilities
- Experience fine/gross motor skills and mobility challenges through various activities and obstacles such as a wheelchair obstacle course
- For Visual Impairments
- Experience various visual impairments through simulation googles, sighted guide, and Braille exercises
- For Hearing Impairments
- Learn how to communicate using body language, facial expressions, and American Sign Language (ASL)
- For Cognitive Impairments
- Learn to follow directions and complete simple tasks like and individual with a Developmental Delay
Program Offered To…
- School Districts
- Park Districts
- Sport Groups
- Scout Groups
- Services Clubs
- And many more!
To schedule your Disability Awareness Program, click on the link below, complete the request form, and return it to Gina Petkus by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by fax at (815-407-1829).